Monday, October 6, 2014
CONSERVATION OUTREACH ROAD TRIP
THE TRIP -
Join herpetologist and nature photographer Nirmal U Kulkarni on an exclusive road trip in the Northern Western Ghats of India where he connects with his researcher colleagues, helps document biodiversity and creates awareness at grassroots level.
Learn basic conservation photography and field equipment skills, help compile field data and learn from Nirmal’s vast experience in conservation science over a period of 3 nights and 4 days in exquisite forest habitats.
We will stay at field stations, campsites and home stays that contribute to nature conservation and awareness and empower their work in the process.
The road trip will traverse through forest roads and jeep tracks at dawn and dusk to provide opportunity for mammal and bird photography besides undertaking night cruises to maximize sightings of reptiles and amphibians.
There will be ample of opportunity to shoot landscapes, macro images of butterflies, reptiles, and varied insects. This is also an excellent opportunity to observe and absorb village life of forest communities for those who wish to do so.
MODE OF TRAVEL -
We will travel in a well-equipped Mahindra Scorpio that has been modified to suit field requirements and long distance travel.
THE SEASON -
Climate - Pleasant weather with chilly nights.
Temperature - 12 degrees Celsius to 30 degrees Celsius.
Humidity - 70 percent.
About Nirmal -
A field ecologist and herpetologist, Nirmal Kulkarni has to credit the discovery of 3 new species of legless amphibians (caecilians), a host of research papers and an experience of over 15 years in the forests of the Western Ghats of India. He is also a wildlife photographer and an excellent storyteller. Nirmal has been awarded with the Karmaveer Award, the Carl Zeiss award for conservation and the RBS Earth Hero ‘Inspire’ award for his work.
He currently works on pit vipers and fresh water turtles in the Northern Western Ghats of India.
TEAM SIZE -
The team size will be 5 people including Nirmal and his man Friday driver Paresh.
1. Fast drying earth colored field clothes.
2. Good walking shoes.
3. Cap and Glares.
4. Field Note Pad and Pen/pencil.
5. Personal medical kit if any.
6. Back pack for field.
7. Water bottle for Field.
8. Woollens for night and sleeping bag.
16st Oct 2014 Departure at 9.00 am from Panjim (Heera petrol pump).
19th Oct 2014 Arrival at 3.00pm at Panjim (Heera Petrol pump).
1. Rs. 10,000/- per participant including stay and food and transport from ex Panjim, usage of field equipment and local guide.
2. Camera entry fees, personal expenses for beverages, medical expenses etc. not part of the fees.
1. First Aid and safety protocol for participants as well as the wildlife we observe are of primary importance and decisions of Team Leader is final in this matter.
2. Transportation will be from Panjim to Panjim only.
3. Confirmation of seat can be done by making a 100 percent advance payment in Cheque/Cash or Direct Transfer in the name of ‘HERPACTIVE’. This is NON-REFUNDABLE so please be sure before you confirm.
ACCOUNT DETAILS -
Account type- Current account.
IFSC Code is UBIN0561142.
Union Bank of India,
Dhuler, Mapusa Branch, North Goa.
For more details email at firstname.lastname@example.org